One of the fundamental functions, that is required by everyone who has to administer a PC-network, is a technology to automate the OS-installation.
You will have benefits in operation using opsi when:
- Setting up a new PC
- Upgrading or changing the installed OS
- Reinstalling a misconfigured or damaged PC installation
- To proof, if a problem belongs to the hardware
An essential opsi feature is, that the operating system installation is either package based or image based. Packed based installations can be used in any grown PC landscape enclosing many hardware generations.
Packet based installation with an automated setup (unattended setup) means:
- No customizing is needed for different hardware (as long as supported by the OS)
- Easy driver-integration for hardware not supported by the OS (e.g. special network interface cards, graphic cards)
- Easy driver updating
- Easy integration of OS-updates like servicepacks or security patches
All necessary customization can be done server-sided and will be distributed automatically.
These windows client-OS are actually supported by opsi:
- Windows XP (32/64 Bit)
- MS-Server 2003 (32/64 Bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64 Bit)
- MS-Server 2008 (32/64 Bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64 Bit)
- MS-Server 2008R2 (64 Bit)
- Windows 8 (32/64 Bit)
- MS-Server 2012 (64 Bit)
The OS-installation based on NTFS-disk-images is also supported. Even an automatic Linux-desktop installation is possible. If you are interested in automatic Linux-installation, please ask us.